Summer camps are optional for cadets. However, going to camp can be a unique and amazing experience.
There are no expenses for accommodation, clothing, meals, or transportation. Cadets receive a training bonus of $60 per week for training.
While on course, cadets live in barracks with separate quarters for males and females. Some summer courses may be used as academic credit.
On each camp, there is a fully staffed hospital with nurses, doctors, medics, and pharmacy technicians. The camp hospital deals with everything from sprains to colds.
Many different courses are available to cadets. Selecting the right course for each cadet depends on the following:
- age of the cadet
- interests of the cadet
- fitness level
Level Duration Ages Specialty?
General Training 2 weeks 12-13 no
Basic Training 3 weeks 13-14 yes
Advanced Training 4 weeks 14-15 yes
- Leadership – these courses focus on drill and team building activities. Cadets develop leadership and public speaking skills.
- Sports and Fitness – these courses focus on fitness and sports training. The aim of this specialty is to train sports assistants and leaders.
- Expedition – these courses focus on adventure training. Activities include canoeing, mountain biking, hiking, and abseiling. Cadets interested in this specialty should be physically fit, and be comfortable in the water and on a bike.
- Marksmanship – these courses focus on marksmanship training and coaching. The aim of this specialty is to develop skilled shooters, and effective marksmanship coaches.
- Band – these courses offer additional instruction on the instrument of the cadet’s choice. The aim of this specialty is to develop skilled musicians who can also assist in training other cadet musicians.
Transportation by bus or plane is arranged for each cadet. You may also choose to drop off or pick up your cadet personally. For security reasons, this should be arranged in advance.
There are a number of Cadet Summer Training Centers (CSTC) in Canada. Depending on the course, they may be offered in any of the following locations:
- Vernon Army CTSC – in Vernon, BC
- Whitehorse CTSC – in Whitehorse, YK
- Connaught CTSC – in Ottawa, ON
- Rocky Mountain ACSTC – near Cochrane, AB
Information on Training Locations